Saturday, February 24, 2007

Trillanes dares Joker to a debate

Trillanes dares Joker to a debate
02/22/2007 | 06:02 PM

Detained opposition senatorial candidate Navy Lt. s.g. Antonio Trillanes IV challenged his critics Thursday “to be man enough" to face him squarely and give him a chance to answer issues hurled against him.

“In the past several days, I’ve been the target of verbal attacks by some officials and candidates of the administration," Trillanes said in a statement.

“While I expected this type of gutter politics from them, I was hoping that they were at least man enough to let me address their attacks squarely by not opposing my court motion to be allowed access to media."

Trillanes then pleaded: “I want a fair fight."

He also challenged Team Unity senatorial candidate Joker Arroyo to a debate about the country’s problems.

“I am not a debater myself, but I believe this is a way of elevating the level of election campaigning to where it ought to be. May the candidate with the better prescriptions win," he said.

Trillanes said if Joker Arroyo will accept his challenge, he is ready anytime. “If [Arroyo declines], then keep your “trapo" (traditional politician) ways to yourself because it is a disservice to the electorate."

Trillanes, the alleged leader of a group of young military officers who launched a short-lived mutiny in Makati on July 27, 2003, also criticized the harassment being applied by the military to his relatives, friends and supporters.

“They have been subjected to harassment and scare tactics by a few misinformed elements of the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines). Whoever is behind these, I beg you to spare them because this violates the ethics of any kind of warfare," he added.

He urged the AFP leadership instead to welcome the possibility of having another former soldier as a legislator since it will bring another voice of the soldiers in the Senate to push for the interest of the officers and enlisted men.

“I also would like to thank the Genuine Opposition (GO) for all their support in the campaign and for standing up for me [amid] accusations. I express my deepest gratitude to all the volunteers who have been helping in the campaign," he said.

According to Trillanes he expects that his candidacy will be a long and difficult fight.

“But be assured my supporters that [if I win] I will lead you to no less than a victory for our country and people," he said.-Fidel Jimenez,GMANews.TV

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A reminder: the candidate held unarmed civilians hostage including children. why not debate instead of removing critical posts? democracy is debate not censorship! or does the candidate really have something to hide. come on show courage and debate!